When it comes to window treatments, the obvious choice in most homes is curtains as they are easy….right?….well you would be surprised by how you might be going wrong, and this can affect how your space feels. So I have put together some quick simple tips to help with your window dressing that will maximise the light and make your room feel proportionate.
1. So often you see the mistake of the curtain rail being fixed directly above the window line, however to give the room the illusion of extra height try hanging the rail between 4-6 inches above the window line.
2. During the day you will want as much natural light into the room as possible, but do you find that even with your curtains open fully it is still limited? Take full advantage of the window width, especially with smaller windows and extend the rod at least 3 inches beyond the sides, this will allow for more natural light into the room and when the curtains are open they will frame the window instead of narrowing it.
3. Most of the time off the shelf curtains are not going to tick all the boxes and you may find that your curtains are too short. If you are not able to have custom curtains and the available options are not long enough then try adding a panel at the bottom in a complimentary solid colour or using a texture like suede or velvet. This is a great quick easy way to fix the problem and add some extra style to the curtains.
4. if you are going for full length curtains the drop of the curtain should be around half an inch off the floor which allows for cleaning but will still give the impression that it touches the floor.
5. Straight out the box and onto the rail? No no, those stubborn creases will not fall out over time! Always steam or press the curtains before hanging.
Hope this helps.